“In creating and building a business, the entrepreneur assumes all the responsibilities for development and management, as well as the risks and rewards. Many businesses do not survive because business owners fail to develop an effective plan.“(Haag, 2013)
I am a Graphic & Brand Designer as well as the Managing Director of Beyond Branding! I assist my clients with their branding, logos, website design of their businesses. The journey of Beyond Branding has really been wonderful with:
- Growing our social media
- Being nominated and becoming a finalist for 2 Local Business Awards
- We’ve had the opportunity to work with clients internationally
- Recently celebrated the 1st birthday of Beyond Branding with the launch of our new website.
Throughout this semester I will be using this opportunity to expand, grow & elevate the future of Beyond Branding:
- Expanding my team, by interviewing graphic designers
- Discuss short-, medium- & long-term ideas / goals that will help us to write our Business Plan which will be in weeks 11-13.
Below is a short summary of the topics I will be discussing in our podcasts in weeks 6, 8 & 10. It will outline the goals for Beyond Branding and also any research we have found that will ultimately be able to assist the development of the business plan.
One of the most important things businesses need to implement are business plans and during this semester I will be researching and creating my own business plan that will be used to assist me with the future of Beyond Branding. Business plans create a very strong foundation to build off and as Haag mentions, “Many businesses do not survive because business owners fail to develop an effective plan.“ (Haag, 2013). This is why businesses don’t survive the first 5 years of being in service because they do not have an effective plan to build off from.
Check out my pitch below:
Project Timeline for BCM 325
The process of writing out your [business] plans [it] is a great way to hone your vision: what problem are you trying to solve? Whose lives are you trying to improve? What’s your realistic timeframe for launch, sales, and profitability?(Akalp, 2021)
Weeks 3 & 4
Continue Interview process for graphic designer
Second rounds of interviews.
Prepare for podcast / blogpost (research)
Weeks 6 – 7
If all goes to plan, begin assigning work to selected designer.
Research, showcase findings and discuss short-term goals.
Research, showcase findings and discuss medium-term goals.
Begin Drafting up Business Plan, gathering information.
Research, showcase findings and discuss long-term goals.
Begin Draft Business plan. Finishing it off for Week 13
Finish business plan, review for future endeavours.
- Haag, A., 2013. Writing a Successful Business Plan. Workplace Health & Safety, 61(1), pp.19-29.
- Akalp, N., 2021. Surviving Your First Year As A Small Business Owner. [online] Forbes. Available at: <https://www.forbes.com/sites/allbusiness/2015/05/11/surviving-first-year-as-small-business-owner/?sh=41d726528e55> [Accessed 19 March 2021].
- FreshBooks Blog – Resources & Advice for Small Business Owners. 2021. 6 Important Business Milestones in the First 5 Years. [online] Available at: <https://www.freshbooks.com/blog/business-milestones> [Accessed 16 March 2021].
- Youtube.com. 2021. [online] Available at: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SduKH5rf850&list=PLzKJi2GjpkEEc86hKZ0HWEVxHHddsLsz5&index=3> [Accessed 15 March 2021].